Friday 29 April 2011

29/04/11: BRNLV FSTVL INTERVIEW #1 - Multiphonic Rodent

All the way from Estonia comes Multiphonic Rodent, a super-exciting addition to the Brainlove Festival bill. A one-man act using loops, guitar, drums, clarinet, and whatever else he can lay his hands on, Erkki Höbe makes lo-fi pop compositions with an exciting edge of improvisation. He'll play in the outdoor stage - full schedule to come soon.

Multiphonic Rodent - Princess & Page by snipelondon



1. Hello! We're really happy you're playing Brainlove Festival. Could you introduce yourself?

My name is Erkki Hõbe and I'm from Tartu, Estonia. I've performed as Multiphonic Rodent since 2008. My influences range from classical minimalism, progressive/avant-garde/indie rock to jazz and electronica. I can play guitar, piano, organ, synthesizers, clarinet, flute, drums and tuned percussion. Loop pedal is the main tool that enables me to perform live, as my repertoire ranges from fully improvised pieces to through-composed material influenced by Steve Reich, anything can happen in between.

2. Tell us a bit about the song you've given us.

"Princess & Page" is my foray into pop composition, that still retains the keen sense of eclectic experimentalism. It's a very accessible song, but it's also an exercise in gradual buildup until the finale which peaks in intensity. First part of it is a deliberate exercise in pedal tone based drone pop, followed by a pretty melody rendered first on vocals, then on the brass section, topping it all off with a noisy fuzz-organ solo over a punk-ish rhythm section.

3. Do you have a favourite festival performance? Both from a festival you've played, and a show by another artist...

I was very happy to play at Tallinn Music Week. It was technically not my best performance ever, but the best festival experience so far. Not to mention, I was really happy to play live again after a seven month absence, mostly due to my winter exile in Portugal. Another band that impressed me at the same festival was Cleaning Women. A Finnish trio with self-invented instruments with such Neubauten-esque intensity which makes most "gothic" synth combos sound like Holiday Inn lounge bands!

4. How about a few words for curious readers wondering what to expect from your performance at BRNLV Festival this year?

A friend of mine once said that my live performance is like a film. I definitely strive for a well thought out and well-presented repertoire with peaks in intensity as well as healthy doses of quiet mellowness. I'm also road-testing my most recent compositional ambition: a continuous 30-40 minute looper concerto in several movements and without breaks. It's likely to remain a work in progress as each concert is bound to teach me a lesson or two about what works best and what aspects still need fine tuning.

Get tickets at www.brainloverecords.com/festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment